2020 Summer Organizer Program – Apply by March 1st!
Do you want to work with trans, gender nonconforming, and queer API people and communities? Do you have a commitment to social justice? Are you ready to transform, learn concrete community organizing skills, and work to build movements for change?
The application for APIENC’s Summer Organizer Program is now open!
Applications are due March 1st, 2020!
ABOUT OUR SUMMER ORGANIZER PROGRAM Every year, APIENC (API Equality – Northern California) embarks on an intensive summer program to develop the next generation of trans and queer API social justice and cultural change leaders. The Summer Organizer Program, previously called our Summer Internship, is a transformative opportunity to build organizing skills and strengthen values in service of social change. At APIENC, we know that trans and queer API people are targets of interpersonal abuse, state violence, and systemic oppression both historically, and in this current political climate. Leadership development for our own queer, trans, and gender nonconforming API people is critical in addressing our material conditions and in supporting larger movements for change.
APIENC Summer Organizers receive in-depth trainings on a variety of topics, and employ dynamic approaches for intersectional and multi-issue based organizing. This is the 11th Summer Organizer Cohort! We’ve had an amazing decade of supporting trans and queer leaders, and we’re looking for folks who are ready to build dedication and resilience. Participants this summer will shape the organization’s trajectory, and send us into the next phase of our work.
Throughout the summer, Summer Organizers will build meaningful relationships with partner organizations focused on a wide array of issues and committed to trans and queer API justice. Summer Organizers will be expected to participate in our API Queer Justice Leadership Exchange, two weekend-long venues for API leaders to learn organizing skills, exchange ideas, and build community. During the course of the program, Summer Organizers will also have the opportunity to take leadership in our different projects, including a trans-led contingent at the SF Trans March, an intergenerational community care network, and a community-based needs assessment of TGNC API folks in the Bay Area Overall, Summer Organizers get to bring their full selves each day, work hard, laugh a lot, and have a blast.
- Work with APIENC staff to develop and implement strategies for empowering and mobilizing the trans and queer API community
- Spend a minimum of 15-20 hours in the APIENC office each week (located in SF Chinatown)
- Meet once a week with APIENC staff and the rest of the intern cohort to reflect, debrief, and give and receive feedback
- Recruit, support, and train volunteers through relationship building
- Develop and implement a fundraising campaign
- Plan and execute trainings and events
- Represent APIENC at external meetings and events
- Participate in a two-weekend Leadership Exchange with other API leaders committed to queer justice
- Reflect on personal narrative and emotional growing edges with other cohort members
- Build relationships with other LGBTQ people of color, API, and intersectional organizations working towards progressive social change
- Displays a strong, long-term commitment to the diverse communities APIENC works with
- Shows a fundamental understanding of the power of community organizing and trand and queer API leadership
- Exhibits desire to build intentional relationships, reflect on personal experience, and grow
- Can build a team and work collaboratively
- Demonstrates curiosity, proactive leadership, can work independently, and takes initiative
- Possesses strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Employs a critical lens and solution-based thinking when addressing issues
- Applications are due by March 1st, 2020
- Interviews will be conducted by March 2-16th
- Selected participants will be notified in late March
- Summer Organizer Program runs for about 8 weeks from June – August (exact dates TBD)
- A small stipend is available, but participants are responsible for their own housing and commute costs.
Please set aside 45-60 minutes to complete the application in its entirety. See the FULL list of questions at this link.