Tune into TRANSFORM APIENC: Give OUT Day on 4/20!
We have officially selected our 8th cohort of APIENC summer interns! We welcome Connie, Isabella, Justine, Kristin, Lina, and Ralph to the APIENC family, and you will be hearing more them soon. In the meantime, we are kicking off our annual campaign to support our leadership development work, which is all about creating transformation through organizing, training, and mentorship.
On Thursday, April 20th, we’re participating in Give OUT Day, a 24-hour giving spree to LGBTQ organizations. This year, our goal is to raise $8,000 from 300 supporters who want to help us fuel transformation for our interns, our organization, and our community.
Looking to tune into our #GiveOUTDay livestream this Thursday April 20th? Look forward to our special programming, live with real-time updates, guest stars, open mic performances, super summer announcements, and more!
- Tune in at 12:30 pm and 4:00 pm: http://bit.ly/APIENCGOLive
- And at 7:00 pm: http://bit.ly/APIENCGOLive2
So far in 2017, we’ve resisted fascism and built on the resilience of our community through: training 25 people from 5 API organizations on our trans justice curriculum, bringing together over 40 community members for our first quarterly potluck and orientation, and co-hosting a direct action training for people of color with NQAPIA and Ruckus Society.
At this time, we know how critical it is to come together, fight isolation, and build systems that support our full humanity. APIENC’s summer work will focus on the transformation that we all must undergo to create a new world.
Here’s how we’re going to create transformation this summer:
- RESILIENCE ARCHIVES SHOWCASE: In collaboration with Visibility Project Director Mia Nakano and performing artist Kat Evasco, the Resilience Archives Showcase will feature personal narratives and photographs from LGBTQ API people alongside a digital walking tour of San Francisco, tracing how our communities and environments have changed over time.
- TRANS MARCH: With our current political climate, trans and gender nonconforming people are at increased risk of violence. Trans and GNC people of color, especially black and brown trans women, are most severely facing this violence. That’s why this June, we’re educating and mobilizing our own API communities to show up for trans justice at the 2017 Trans March.
- HIGH SCHOOL LEADERSHIP EXCHANGE: To build power that extends beyond just the next four years, we need to be supporting young leaders right now. In partnership with NQAPIA, we’re hosting a national Leadership Exchange for high school-aged LGBTQ API youth. This training will support growing activists who can create change at local and national levels, and provide a platform for community support.
These events, along with our ongoing projects that work to build safety and justice for transgender, gender nonconforming, and queer API people will be fueled by our summer interns, community partners, and you. We are inviting you to dream with us. We are inviting you to imagine where our community could be if we collectively transform the ways we live our lives. We are inviting you to help transform APIENC in pursuit of that goal.
Here are some symbolic amounts:
- $150 for our 150 person-strong API Contingent at Trans March
- $80 to celebrate the 8th year of our summer internship program
- $66 to mark June 6th, the day of our Resilience Archives showcase
- $45 is one dollar for each participant of our TWO Leadership Exchanges this summer
On GiveOUT Day, April 20th, join us in-person or online for a special telethon highlighting our fundraising efforts, leadership alumni, and community mentors.
With love and in solidarity,