2016 Summer Internship Application Now Open!
Do you want to work with LGBTQ API communities? Do you have a commitment to social justice? Do you want to learn concrete community organizing skills?
The application for API Equality – Northern California’s Summer Internship 2016 is now open!
Applications are due March 4th, 2016!
ABOUT OUR SUMMER INTERNSHIP Every year, API Equality – Northern California (APIENC) embarks on an intensive summer internship program to develop the next generation of LGBTQ API social justice and cultural change leaders.
Interns receive in-depth trainings on a variety of topics, and employ dynamic approaches for intersectional and multi-issue based organizing. Each intern contributes to the LGBTQ API community by impacting the organization’s history and current projects.
Interns will build meaningful relationships with partner organizations committed to queer & trans API justice throughout the summer, and all interns participate in our API Queer Justice Leadership Exchange, a venue for API leaders to exchange ideas and build community. Throughout the summer, interns will also have the opportunity to take leadership in our Dragon Fruit Project, an intergenerational oral history project that documents and disseminates the lives of LGBTQ API activists from the 60’s, 70’s, 80’s, and 90’s. Overall, interns get to bring their full selves each day, work hard, laugh a lot, and have a blast.
- Work with API Equality – Northern California staff to develop and implement strategies for empowering and mobilizing the LGBTQ API community
- Spend a minimum of 20 hours in the API Equality – Northern California office each week
- Meet once a week with API Equality – Northern California staff and the rest of the intern cohort to reflect, debrief, and give and receive feedback
- Recruit, support, and train volunteers
- Develop and implement a fundraising campaign
- Plan and execute trainings and events
- Represent API Equality – Northern California at external meetings and events
- Attend a national gathering for LGBTQ API communities in July or August
- Participate in a Leadership Exchange with other API leaders committed to queer justice
- Build relationships with other LGBTQ people of color and API organizations
- Displays strong commitment to the diverse communities API Equality – Northern California works with
- Shows a fundamental understanding of the power of organizing and LGBTQ API leadership
- Exhibits desire to build a thriving LGBTQ API community and a willingness to grow
- Can build a team and work collaboratively
- Demonstrates proactive leadership, can work independently, and takes initiative
- Possesses strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Employs a critical lens and solution-based thinking when addressing issues
- Applications are due by March 4th, 2016
- Interviews will be conducted by March 9-25th
- Selected interns will be notified in early April
- Internship run for about 8 weeks from June – August (exact dates TBD)
- A stipend is available, but interns are responsible for their own housing and commute costs.