Apply for APIENC’s 2015 Summer Internship Program
Do you want to work with LGBTQ API communities? Do you have a commitment to social justice? Do you want to learn concrete community organizing skills?
API Equality – Northern California is now accepting applications for our 2015 Internship Program!
Applications are due by March 8th, 2015.
ABOUT OUR INTERNSHIP Every year, API Equality-Northern California (APIENC) embarks on an intensive summer internship program to develop the next generation of LGBTQ API social justice and cultural change leaders.
Interns receive in depth trainings on a broad variety of topics, and employ dynamic approaches for intersectional and multi-issue based organizing. Each intern contributes in a significant way to the LGBTQ API community by impacting organization’s history and current projects. Interns will build meaningful relationships with partner organizations committed to Queer API justice through our first pilot of API Queer Justice Leadership Exchange, a venue for API leaders to exchange ideas and build community. Overall, interns get to bring their full selves each day, work hard, laugh a lot, and have a blast.
- Coordinate with API Equality-Northern California staff to develop and implement strategies for empowering and mobilizing the LGBTQ API community
- Spend a minimum of 20 hours in the API Equality-Northern California office a week
- Meet once a week with API Equality-Northern California staff and the rest of the intern cohort to reflect, debrief, and give and receive feedback
- Recruit, support, and train volunteers
- Assist with fundraising campaigns and events
- Plan and conduct educational trainings and events
- Represent API Equality-Northern California at external meetings and events
- Attend a national conference for LGBTQ API communities in August
- Participates in a Leadership Exchange with other API leaders committed to queer justice
- –Collaborate with local LGBTQ people-of-color and API organizations
- Displays strong commitment to the diverse communities API Equality-Northern California works with
- Shows a fundamental understanding of the power of organizing and LGBTQ API leadership
- Exhibits desire to build a thriving LGBTQ API community and a willingness to grow
- Can build a team and work collaboratively
- Demonstrates proactive leadership, can work independently, and takes initiative
- Possesses strong interpersonal and relationship building skills
- Employs a critical lens and solution based thinking when addressing issues
Applications are due by March 8th, 2015
Interviews will be conducted March 16th – 27th
Internship runs from June – August (selected interns will receive more specific dates)